Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2

My Title: Game Designer

Game Type: F2P, JRPG, Mobile, Custom Editor (Unity as renderer)

M:AA 2 was the first product I got to see go through the entire project life cycle from Green light to ship. I actively worked on it for a 1 1/2 years when the project matured and was ready for additional content. I often split my time between both M:AA 1 and M:AA 2 for content creation and was relied upon to balance my schedule between the two projects.

During the project there where several implemented and planed refactors to the core loop, combats and time limited special events (Spec Ops). I participated in most of and later drove some of these refactors. Near the end of the project I was given responsibility to refactor our Spec Op events to increase player participation, monetization, and return on investment.

Things I’m proud of:

  • Visualized design pipeline and got buy in to streamline our process for content creation.
    • Helped surface inefficiencies and helped the art / design hand off process
    • Utilized Confluence
  • Revamped Spec Op (unreleased)
    • Streamlined Design pipeline
    • Streamlined narrative and mission content
    • Requested and added in character cameos to improve character visibility
    • Streamlined Quest system and designed Spec Op “hero chase” content
  • Built a very large portion of the villains and grunts, and helped redesign what a villain was supposed to provide to players.
  • Redesigned chapter 1 grunts to feature simplified combat status to decrease the learning curve, based on player metrics and completion rates.

Design Pipeline Work

Revamped Design workflows built in Confluence. We had a lot of ambiguity about the pipeline for designers. I built this during my own discovery in order to help build the conversation about improvements, create buy in of those improvements, and help any new hires that came to the project.


Revamp Spec Op Document (unreleased)

When I was tasked with implementing Spec Op 3 I was trusted with doing a major revamp and simplification of the design process, energy economy, quest crumbs, completion incentives, new gameplay and  UI to support it, and lifting KPI’s. I created the initial doc and then sought buy in from stake holders and made adjustments as necessary.

To communicate to all of the stake holders I felt it necessary to:

  • Provide Goals
    • Increase Energy purchases (for completing battles)
    • Archive keys for the SO (either through long tail purchases or player completion with the ) day time window.
    • Reinforce existing core loops
  • Provide a clear overview of the modifications for quick review
    • Pinching sensitive currencies.
    • Increasing the Value of the SO during and after the 10 day experiation window
  • Specific methods to be used to hit those goals
    • Including current and updated methods
  • Breaking out work according to discipline

For a deep dive you can view the Improvement Doc

Typical Work:

My work consisted of brainstorming villain designs with other designers and implementing them using an in-house editor. Our Editor (Ultron) had selected scripting capabilities and data validation, after which I could export and check my work using Unity as a renderer.

  • Ideation and implementation of:
    • Updating / creating new Marvel Villains
    • Quests
    • Mission content
  • Tracking tasks in Jira, Creating Jira Templates for future use

Selected Content

Crimson Dynamo Mini Boss

Crimson Dynamo is the classic tank with a strong defensive buff that can be removed by critical hits. At certain health intervals he regens his buffs.

Magus Boss Epic Fight

Magus builds up Cosmic energy for a super attack. You can place mental debuffs on him and he will remove them with a clarity move. The intent was to get players to bring heroes such as Electro to place mental debuffs on him and keep him healing instead of attacking.